Republican’s play Americans for fools. Their latest scam is no different. Let’s take a look at their ‘Pledge to America.’
Key Points In The ‘Pledge To America’
Create jobs, end economic uncertainty and increase American competitiveness
* “Permanently” stop tax hikes on families and small businesses.
* Give small businesses a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income.
* Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that adds to deficits or makes it harder to create jobs.
* Repeal health care mandates on small businesses.
* “With common-sense exceptions for seniors, veterans, and our troops,” roll back government spending to pre-stimulus, pre-bailout levels.
* Place caps on government spending.
* Impose a hiring freeze for non-security-related federal positions.
* Cancel the Troubled Asset Relief Program and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
That will actually increase unemployment and at the same time, increase deficits.
They want a ratchet effect on taxes where taxes can be cut but they can’t be raised. Why not just say you’re going to eliminate taxes for everyone? According to Reaganomics, that should increase revenues! The problem is, Reaganomics has been proven to not work.
Rolling back government spending to pre-stimulus, pre-bailout levels will result in higher unemployment. The spending has created millions of jobs, improved our infrastructure, provided money to small businesses that specialize in renewable energy, prevented layoffs of teachers and other government workers, modernized our electric grid, and other things that are making our country better.
Repeal and replace the health care overhaul
* Enact “real medical liability reform.”
* Allow purchase of health care across state lines.
Same old ideas that won’t help anyone but big corporations.
Tort reform means people are limited as to how much they can sue for if doctors or hospitals are negligent. That’s taking away the rights of Americans. It will also do little to reduce the cost of health care or insurance.
Allowing the purchase of health insurance across state lines takes away the ability of states to regulate insurance companies. It will also result in insurance companies only insuring low risk people. It might make insurance cheaper for young, healthy people, but it will do nothing for the people who need insurance the most.
* Require that every bill contain a citation of “constitutional authority.”
* Give all representatives and citizens at least three days to read a bill before a vote.
Reform Congress? Republicans are the problem. And they want to “reform” Congress? Why didn’t they do something when they were in power? What’s needed is filibuster reform because Senate Republicans are filibustering EVERYTHING!
And as far as Constitutional authority, what about the Constitutional violations that occurred during the Bush tenure when he lied us into war, spied on Americans, violated the Geneva Conventions, and enabled war profiteering?
Maintain security at home and abroad
* Provide resources, authority, and support to deployed forces.
* Fully fund missile defense.
* Enforce sanctions against Iran.
* Keep enemy combatants in Guantanamo Bay.
* Secure U.S. borders.
The party that didn’t take the threat of terrorism seriously until we were attacked wants to “maintain” security? In reality, they want to keep the money flowing to defense contractors who donate to their coffers. And of course, they want to keep fear and hatred levels high.